Beer trivia can be a fun way to pass some time when gathering with friends and enjoying an evening at Mudshark Brewery and Public House.
So, how well do you know craft beer and traditional brewing? Ready to test your skills? Grab a pint of our award winning Buzz Honey Lager and let’s go!
- What beer brand had a series of commercials featuring a man known as “The Most Interesting Man in the World”?
Answer: Dos Equis. This Mexican beer brand launched a campaign in 2006 that featured an actor named Jonathan Goldsmith as a suave and adventurous character who always had a Dos Equis in his hand. The commercials ended with the slogan “Stay thirsty, my friends.”
- Which beer brand is known for its “King of Beers” slogan?
Answer: Budweiser. This American lager has been using this slogan since 1876, when it was introduced by its founder Adolphus Busch. The slogan is based on the translation of the original Czech name of the beer, Budweiser Bier, which means “beer from the city of Budweis”.
- What beer brand is often associated with the “Toucan” in its advertisements?
Answer: Guinness. This Irish stout has been using the toucan as a mascot since 1935, when it was created by artist John Gilroy. The toucan was chosen because of its colorful beak, which contrasted with the dark beer, and because it could hold two pints of Guinness in its bill.
- Which country is known for its “pub culture,” where people gather in traditional pubs for beer and socializing?
Answer: United Kingdom. The UK has a long and rich history of pub culture, dating back to the Roman times when taverns were common along the roads. Pubs are more than just places to drink; they are also venues for music, games, sports, comedy, and community events.
- Which Belgian beer brand is famous for its Trappist ales?
Answer: Chimay. This beer brand is produced by the monks of the Scourmont Abbey in Chimay, Belgium. It is one of the six authentic Trappist beers in the world, meaning that it is brewed within the walls of a Trappist monastery under the supervision of the monks.
- How do you say beer in Spanish?
Answer: Cerveza. This word comes from the Latin word cerevisia, which means “drink made from grain”. Cerveza is also used in other languages, such as Portuguese, Catalan, and Filipino.
- True or False: Germans were the first to brew beer.
Answer: False; the first concrete evidence of barley beer comes from the ancient Sumerians of Mesopotamia (modern Iraq and Syria). They brewed beer as early as 6000 BC, and even had a goddess of brewing named Ninkasi.
- Why are beer bottles green or brown?
Answer: It protects the beer from UV rays, which can ruin the flavor. UV rays can cause chemical reactions in the beer that produce unpleasant smells and tastes, such as skunkiness or oxidation. Green and brown glass can filter out most of the UV light, while clear glass cannot.
- How is a Sake Bomb typically consumed?
Answer: A shot glass of sake is balanced on chopsticks over a glass of beer, and then the table is hit to make the shot drop into the beer before drinking. This is a popular drinking game in Japan and other Asian countries, as well as among Westerners who enjoy sake.
- Founders Brewing Co., known for their KBS and All Day IPA, hails from which city?
Answer: Grand Rapids, Michigan. This craft brewery was founded in 1997 by Mike Stevens and Dave Engbers, who quit their corporate jobs to pursue their passion for brewing.
- Dogfish Head Brewery, famous for its creative and experimental beers, is located in which state?
Answer: Delaware. This craft brewery was founded in 1995 by Sam Calagione, who started brewing on a small scale in his kitchen. He later moved to a larger facility in Milton, Delaware, where he continues to produce innovative beers using unusual ingredients and methods.
- Lagunitas Brewing Company, known for its IPA, has its headquarters in which state?
Answer: California (Petaluma). This craft brewery was founded in 1993 by Tony Magee, who started brewing on a stovetop in his home in Lagunitas, California. He later relocated to a bigger space in Petaluma, California, where he expanded his production and distribution.
- What is the term for the foam that forms on top of a beer when it’s poured?
Answer: Head. This is the layer of bubbles that is created by the carbonation and proteins in the beer. The head can affect the aroma, flavor, and mouthfeel of the beer, as well as its appearance.
- What is the traditional wooden mug used for drinking beer called, often associated with German beer culture?
Answer: Stein. This is a German word that means “stone”, and refers to the stone or earthenware mugs that were used to serve beer in the past. They often had metal lids to keep the beer fresh and prevent insects from getting in.
- What beer company started a popular commercial in 1999, in which a group of guys called each other on the phone, energetically asking “Wassup?”
Answer: Budweiser. This American beer company launched a series of ads that featured a group of friends who greeted each other with the slang word “wassup”, which is short for “what’s up”. The ads were inspired by a short film called “True”, directed by Charles Stone III, who also starred in them.
I hope you enjoyed this trivia quiz and learned something new about craft beer and traditional brewery. If you want to learn more, check out these sources:
Mudshark Brewery and Public House didn’t invent the craft beer movement but with award winning brews such as Buzz Honey Lager, we have been an industry leader since opening in September 1998.
So, kick off a new year with a fun and memroy making evening shared with friends. Cheers!